SOUTH WEST TEACHER TRAINING
Our teacher training centre is based in the heart of the South West in the historic city of Exeter. We work alongside our partner schools, course tutors and mentors to provide our trainees with all the skills, understanding and experience they need to become brilliant teachers ready to make their impact on the education of the next generation. Training teachers in both Secondary and Primary, with our School Direct Partners, allows us to offer a unique perspective on children’s development and progress. SWTT SCITT was formed in 1993 with the remit of providing high calibre teachers for Exeter and South West Schools. We pride ourselves in continuing with this challenge, but also with producing teachers who teach across the country. One of the great strengths of SWTT is our ability to personalise the QTS programme and provide one to one support and challenge for each of our trainees. active role within the programme.
This is a one-year full time course with training based entirely within a partnership of successful Exeter, Devon and other South West Schools. Our lead school is the Ted Wragg Multi-Academy Trust who are proud to work in partnership with schools across Exeter and Devon to provide a truly school-centred route into teaching.
The major benefit of this route is that the Trainee Teacher has the opportunity, right from the start, to join an effective school as part of a professional team. This will involve the trainee in all aspects of a teacher’s role in school and ensure that the Trainee Teacher is well prepared to join the teaching profession.
Upon successful completion of the course the Trainee Teacher will receive their Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) from the Department for Education (DfE) and either a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (Level 6) or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Level 7) (worth 60 Masters Credits) from Bath Spa University.
WHY CHOOSE US?
The SWTT School centred initial teacher training course focuses on:
• Basing a large portion of the course based in school, with educational theory integrated into the programme by the SWTT team.
• Learning from established practitioners in our partner schools who provide mentoring and coaching.
• Building up the Trainee’s teaching load, developing their skills at a pace managed in close consultation with their mentor.
• Developing resilience by immersing Trainees into school life and equipping them with strategies to manage workload.
• Supporting Trainees in school and out with mentors and course tutors who monitor their progress.
• Preparing Trainees to enter the profession fully ready as Newly Qualified Teachers.
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY
New 2018! SWTT is excited to offer a wider array of creative subjects including Music, Drama, Dance and Art. Our Partner School King Edward VI Community College in Totnes is home to SWTT’s Performing Arts ITT Hub, a network of schools keen to train the creative and performing arts teachers of the future. Please enquire to find out more.
ITT PARTNERSHIP SCHOOLS
- Clyst Vale Community College
- Coombeshead Academy
- Eggbuckland Community College
- Exmouth Community College
- Honiton Community College
- Isca Academy
- King Edward VI Community College
- Paignton Community and Sports Academy
- Plymouth High School for Girls
- Queen Elizabeth's School
- St James' School
- St Luke's Science and Sports College
- St Peter's Church of England Aided School
- Teign School
- The Castle School (Taunton)
- Tiverton High School
- West Exe School